Monday, June 6, 2011

In Memory 2010: James Arness

The big cowboy James Arness who played Matt Dillion in the TV series "Gunsmoke" has died at the age of 88. James  was born in  1923, and played the role for twenty years, wit the series coming to an end in 1975. James briefly revised the role in a few 1990s specials.

He also starred in one of the most remembered mini series in the 1970s called "How the West was Won", again he played  a tough western called  Zeb. The series was cult watching in Europe, and even went into a second series.




His web site has a posthumous note from the man.
Hi friends,

I decided to write a letter to you for Janet to post on our website in the event I was no longer here.

I had a wonderful life and was blessed with some many loving people and great friends. The best part of my life was my family, especially my wife Janet. Many of you met her at Dodge City so you understand what a special person she is.

I wanted to take this time to thank all of you for the many years of being a fan of Gunsmoke, The Thing, How the West Was Won and all the other fun projects I was lucky enough to have been allowed to be a part of. I had the privilege of working with so many great actors over the years.

I was honored to have served in the army for my country. I was at Anzio during WWII and it makes you realize how very precious life is.

Thank you again for all the many letters, cards, emails and gifts we received from you over the years. You are and always have been truly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Jim Arness



No comments:

Post a Comment